[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

Kevin Freels kevin at kevinfreels.com
Thu Mar 20 05:27:44 UTC 2008

John Grigg wrote:
> Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid, and Australoid...  Do we still need
> these divisions?  Are we not ultimately just one race, the human race,
> Homo Sapiens Sapiens?
I understand what you are saying. But the divisions exist. They are
useful in the anthropology fields when trying to determine the various
paths our ancestors took on the road to becoming us. A lot of focus is
spent on trying to show just how alike we all are - which is true. Often
you will find a "caucasoid" who shares more genes with a "Mongoloid" or
"Negroid" than they share with other "caucasoids".

And yes, it's terrible that others spend a lot of time trying to find
differences and using them to justify treating people differently.

We are all unique and we all have similarities. But to pretend, as you
suggest, that these differences don't exist at all is just as foolish as
pretending that they matter. There are real differences in people - and
those differences tell a lot about a person's genetic history.  But it
also causes people to focus on things they can "see" and ignore the
things they can't. This leads to stereotyping which I think is a
hard-wired defense mechanism.

What really needs to happen is that people should be educated to
understand that yes - people are different...and that's OK rather than
teaching people that we're all alike.