[ExI] Legalizing Prostitution

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:41:37 UTC 2008

Terry wrote:
I don't know of any state that legalized prostitution here in the U.S.

I believe that only in small sections of Nevada is it legal.

you continue:
I did not say that married women in general are prostituting themselves
when they marry for money or prestige. I don't know the statistics but
men do marry for the same reason.

And as more and more women become extremely successful we shall see more of
that.

you wrote:
You said many marriages are based on love? Love of self or love of
fantasy? How many live in common-law marriage for the sake of common
interests or for protection of their children?

I don't know the official statistics of happy and loving marriages within
the West ( I realize roughly half of all marriages ultimately don't make
it).  But there still are many happy marriages out there and please
remember, you must first love yourself before you can love another.  The big
transition within a marriage is when the "fantasy/idealized" image of their
partner at least partially fades in the bright light of imperfect reality,
and yet they can still deeply love that person, anyway.  And yes, many
couples stay together for the sake of the children, which is definitely not
always a good idea.  Kids can pick up on the fact that mom and dad are just
not happy with each other (even when the parents think this is a well-kept
secret).

you continue:
Humans are not monogamous by nature. Some society consider serial marriage
the norm.
I consider that a modified legalized prostitution.

I personally think some humans are very prone toward monogamy but others are
by nature at the other end of the spectrum.  Serial marriage has definitely
become popular in the West, especially among the more successful.  I once
read the view of an anthropologist that serial marriage among the
relatively wealthy was a new twist on polygamy (he gave celebrity Johnny
Carson as his classic example).  He said this was so because a
wealthy/young/sometimes older man could monopolize many of the "best
years/prime fertility years" of a young and beautiful woman.  And because of
their success they could later keep repeating the process with other women
as their current relatinships failed.  During his lifetime this male has
kept these females away from other less successful males who might have had
children with them (and the successful male might either have no children
with these women or less than they would have had with another younger but
less successful male).  I find this an interesting theory to say the
least.

John Grigg