[ExI] Gigideath was aboriginal humans

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 08:20:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 2:04 AM, hkhenson wrote:
<snip>
>  But the near term consequences are an even more interesting
>  topic.  We are all keenly aware of peak oil.  Now New Scientist (Jan
>  19-25) has an article that makes the case for peak coal in a
>  relatively short time span (25 years).
>
>  Unless a major new source of energy is brought on line in the next
>  few decades, there is going to be one heck of a die off, ultimately
>  because there are just too many people for the resources available,
>  particularly energy.
>
>  Of course the singularity (nanotech and AI) throws a spanner into
>  predicting anything out that far.  However if it fails to come
>  through in time, there is going to be one heck of a die off with
>  attendant problems for the ones who live through these times.

That was last month's ecological panic.

This month it is water shortages.

<http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=25527>
6 February 2008 – Many of today's conflicts around the world are being
fuelled or exacerbated by water shortages and climate change is only
making the situation worse, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon told the
General Assembly today.

BillK