[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Mar 22 17:24:49 UTC 2008

At 08:51 PM 3/21/2008, Stathis Papaioannou  wrote:

>I think Anne is talking about society's attitude towards people with
>autism. For example, see this article:
>
>http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-03/ff_autism

This a great article.   Reactions to people with so-called
disabilities have a stronghold on society.  But we know that, for the
most part, strong reactions stem from fear and one way to separate
one seemingly healthy group from the seeming unhealthy group. A
reaction to ostracize (however strongly or inadvertently) for being
dissimilar, including mental, emotional, and physical abilities, may
be an innate or a learned/acquired behavior.  We may need to be
understanding of this behavior as well because we experience even
more of such reactions in the coming years as humans morph in a
variety of ways.

I remember working with the Home for Incurables when I was 18.  I
spent a few years volunteering from time to time to bring part of the
outside world to people who were sequestered into an institution
which gave them no interaction with the outside.  It disturbed me
then and still does.  Ms. Baggs is yet another role model for using
technology to as a mode of expression.

Natasha