[ExI] America: Home of All Evil

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Mar 23 06:44:11 UTC 2008

Olga writes

> Lee wrote:
>>
>> About a century ago, half of what you and I want really was
>> true!  Everyone who'd emigrated there had the half that said
>> "I am an American".  Especially the Italians.  When the statue
>> of liberty came into view, they'd start cheering, and practically
>> would not stop cheering until they got through Ellis Island, at
>> which point they'd proudly proclaim, "Now *I* am an
>> AMERICAN!"
>
> A century ago when the experiences of newly arrived immigrants and the
> dangers posed to American consumers inspired Sinclair Lewis to write The
> Jungle?  When lynchings were in flower?  When we had segregated military
> forces?  When we had "miscegenation" laws?  Are you people daft ... or what?

Are *you* daft, or what?  What I wrote above is just an actual
description of what often happened!  What evil are you reading
into my having written this?

I did not draw any particular conclusion quoted by you!  I was
responding to Artillo's post, and using his style in my HARMLESS
description above.  Something must really, really be eating you.

> And (about 50 years later), when all was nice and perfect in the 1950s?
> (except for the fact that some American CITIZENS couldn't go to certain
> restaurants, use certain drinking fountains, swim in certain pools, go to
> certain schools, sit in certain places on busses ...)

Oh, the crimes, the horror!   Of course,  it was better than what was
happening ANYWHERE ELSE,  but that is totally immaterial for you,
evidently.  Typical idealist.  Still complaining until the very moment which---
after the good-but-not-perfect system you've destroyed is no longer
around to protect you---you're lined up against the wall and shot by
the new Stalins, you'll apparently just never get it.

Lee

P.S.  Oh---I forgot, the Australians were just as bad.  Sorry.  They
too must be pilloried forever with nary a word of comparison muttered.