[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 14:36:12 UTC 2008

Damien Broderick wrote:
M, it seems to me that it's partly a matter of unusually high
expectations versus some of the grimier and more horrible aspects of
human, all too human experience. If the USA weren't seen in many
parts of the world as a beacon of hope and freedom and opportunity
and prosperity, the dire parts of its history wouldn't be so bitterly
disappointing.

I remember having a Fillipina co-worker who told me many Fillipino's have
very very unrealistic notions about what the U.S. is like.  She told me they
practically think the streets will be "paved with gold."  And when they get
here cold reality sets in.  Many of them work, save, and then go home to buy
a nice home, have servants and live the relative good life.  But others do
stay and focus on raising well-educated and quality kids who will get their
big slice of the American pie.

A number of American citizen males at my workplace (including myself) were
given the contact info and photos of cousins, nieces, etc. back home who
were looking for U.S. husbands & citizenship! lol  I didn't act on what I
was given but each girl was "vouched for" by her relative who gave the
female's profile and info.  I've had a number of friends who had almost
given up on the idea of marriage but in the end married Fillipina women and
seemed to have found happiness (and the women seemed happy, too).  The
friends who married Russian women did not *usually* fare half as well.  I've
always wondered what the key factors were that caused such a difference
between the two camps.

John : )