[ExI] Cryonics a theory or belief?.

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 19:00:23 UTC 2008

John Grigg wrote:
> I have never liked the "scan the frozen & possibly unrepairable body and
> then build a copy of" cryonics scenario.

John K. Clark wrote:
And what is being copied? Atoms of course, it always comes back to atoms
and the silly idea that atoms contain your soul. And not just any old atoms,
very specific INDIVIDUAL atoms; atoms that somehow have your name
scratched on them.  I said it before I'll say it again, if you can't
overcome that superstition it will kill you dead dead dead.
The Singularity will simply not allow a conscious being with ideas
like that to survive.

John, I happen to have my initials engraved on each of the atoms of my body
(it was a gift from my mom, last Christmas I think).  ; )  Recently, I have
been thinking about how in a Singularity/uploading situation my belief on
this might affect me.  I just ordered through
Amazon.com<http://amazon.com/>the SF anthology, "Beyond Flesh," edited
by Jack Dann.  I realize it is only
a work of various fictional stories but it will help me to explore the
scenario you bring up.  I do recognize your true concern for me and
I wholeheartedly thank you.  But please remember that I am hardly alone in
my view on this.  Keep in mind the story of the scientist with the newly
created perfect duplicate, who is totally convinced they are one and the
same, and the rival researcher who makes his point by taking out of a
desk drawer a .44 magnum...

> I don't see that as *me,* but instead a perfect in every way twin.

you continue;
So we have something identical in every way, perfectly identical in fact,
nevertheless being profoundly different. I really mean it, your future
health demands you get over that idea!

Perhaps it does (even if I don't like it, lol).  I see your scenario as
having grimly accepted an unpleasant but unavoidable situation and simply
trying to make the best of it.  Your new uploaded (or biologically
xox'd) "self" will be a perfect twin/mind child who will carry on your
personal legacy.  Hey, that is a whole lot better than nothing!  It's a
high-tech alternative to the very old option of having a child as one's
personal immortality vehicle.

> The space/time continuity of *me* has been broken.

you continue:
Bafflegab translation: I'm in a different time and place.

Numberless email list threads have explored/debated the concept of the
"self" and the "self-circuit."

you continue:
And space/time continuity of what? Atoms of course, it always comes
back to atoms.

As the years go by I might change my mind on this matter.  But I doubt it!

John Grigg  : )

P.S. Once again, thank you for caring.