[ExI] Cryonics a theory or belief?.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Mar 23 17:32:32 UTC 2008

John Grigg wrote:

> I have never liked the "scan the frozen & possibly unrepairable body and
> then build a copy of" cryonics scenario.

And what is being copied? Atoms of course, it always comes back to atoms
and the silly idea that atoms contain your soul. And not just any old atoms,
very specific INDIVIDUAL atoms; atoms that somehow have your name
scratched on them.  I said it before I'll say it again, if you can't
overcome that superstition it will kill you dead dead dead.
The Singularity will simply not allow a conscious being with ideas
like that to survive.

> I don't see that as *me,* but instead a perfect in every way twin.

So we have something identical in every way, perfectly identical in fact,
nevertheless being profoundly different. I really mean it, your future
health demands you get over that idea!

> The space/time continuity of *me* has been broken.

Bafflegab translation: I'm in a different time and place.

And space/time continuity of what? Atoms of course, it always comes
back to atoms.

  John K Clark