[ExI] Cryonics a theory or belief?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 21:51:09 UTC 2008

I wrote:
 >...I'm looking forward to having "simulated Spike" and "the real Spike"
running around at future Transhumanist conferences! lol  John Grigg  : )

Spike replied:
Bad idea.  They would fight each other.  {8^D  Johnny you are too kind, pal.
May the distant future world, simulated or matter-based, be filled with
people like you.

I now think *you* are being too kind.  : )  I want the people of the distant
future to be like (at least some of them) the genetically upgraded
"goodnatured" young people of Anders imagination.  Does anyone remember that
post?  He wrote so many great ones.

you continue:
(But not *exactly* like you John.  What if the duplicating machine got stuck
and kept rattling out copies?  Or some joker intentionally created a billion
of you?  Would you hang out together?  How would we feed you all?  ...Oh no!
Here comes the gigaGrigg!  Hey Soos, please take these fish and this bread
and feed them into the duplicator, set it to run continually...)

What would be scary is a "GigaGrigg" mass mind! LOL  It brings to mind a
Simpsons episode where Homer comes across a magic hammock that makes copies
of people.  You can imagine the rest. lol

I'm looong out of my teen years and yet I still have a pretty dang fast
metabolism and so I continue to surprise my much stockier friends by all the
food I can put away at buffet-style restaurants. lol  If a duplicating
machine created a billion copies of me then the only option would be to
create the galaxy's largest sushi restaurant (the size of Australia) where
you would have to host all of us (since you did at Extro 5)!  hee  It would
be all part of the upcoming "Far Edge Party/Galactic Conference."  : )

I am not sure how well I would get along with perfect copies of myself.
This is one of those "what if" questions that sort of nag at me.  I tend to
get along with most agreeable people but would copies of me
intentionally/unintentionally hit my buttons and really tick me off? lol
And it would be so hard for them because they would have all these memories
that they did not actually live as I did.

They would have to create their own lives/legacies and they might resent me
(even if without my permission someone created many copies of me) for it.  I
would do my best to be a friend/big brother to them and try to
get my perfect copies to be better/wiser/more ambitious people than I ever
managed to be in my own life.  I would tell them about my "roads not taken"
and encourage them to consider exploring them.  But then they would have all
of my memories, though I could probably still give them extra insight.

Over time I could see a number of them making personal decisions to go down
unique paths I sure never did.  War hero John, KIA in the first five minutes
of his first battle John (much more likely), Social worker John, In prison
for decking someone real hard John, Married with 9 kids and living in an
asteroid belt commune John, Lunar hydroponics farmer John, Bus spaceship
driver John, Intergalactic delivery driver John, Third grade teacher
of little bioroids John, Divorce lawyer John, Ferret cloner John, AI civil
rights activist John, and Action vid star John (cross Chuck Norris with
Woody Allen...)!

I once read a SF novel about humanity at war with alien powers who were
slowly but steadily defeating us and pushing our boundaries closer and
closer to Earth.  In a desperate bid to slow their advance it was decided to
make ten thousand perfect copies (this took a great deal of effort
and resources to do) of a controversial general known for his
great shrewdness and violent creativity in the area of unconventional
warfare.  They seeded the frontlines with his perfect xox's and it ground
the alien advance to a near halt!

John Grigg  : )