[ExI] Self circuit as memory

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Tue Mar 25 12:18:06 UTC 2008

" The self-circuit has not been permanently
> broken when you go under anesthetic and
> then regain consciousness.

You said an exact copy of you would not be you, so something must be
missing, something must be not so exact after all, it can only be this
screwy "self circuit". The "self circuit" coveys no adaptive advantage
the possessor, all it does (and you admitted your copy looks and acts
just
like you) is generate a sense of self, and if something without a sense
of
self can look and act just like you then there is no way, absolutely no
way,
this mythical  "self circuit" could have evolved. If the "self circuit"
exists then Darwin was wrong, absolutely positively 100% dead wrong.
I do not think Darwin was wrong.

By the way, do you also think your radio needs a "Beethoven circuit"
to play Beethoven?

 J ohn K Clark
_______________

If I may step in to reply, self circuit maybe a technological term for
memory. Some who are not so technologically aware may think it is a
ghost in the machine or a soul.

Some memories remain intact when you regain consciousness from
anesthesia depends on how successful the procedure is. Even in the
normal processes of living a healthy life there are some wear and tear
of cellular system such as the skin which shed a lot of dead cells and
new cells regenerate. Some recent scientific discoveries on cellular
function found that our cells have a mechanical type of memories such
as the organ system of digestion. You need not tell your stomach to
digest food, it automatically does it.

The sense system of self/mind is a product of genes the same way as
memories. Some memories die and some come back depends on how we use
the brain matter. A recording or copy of the original is a copy not the
original/ singularity. The invention of the wheel contributed to
several copies today.

Terry