[ExI] Cryonics a theory or belief?

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Tue Mar 25 15:55:07 UTC 2008

Hello everyone. "As usual" it would seem :) a conversation not about
uploading and copying and threading and singularities, and w/e has
turned into a conversation about that. So here is something having to
do with the thread, instead.

On Mar 23, 2008, at 8:26 AM, citta437 at aol.com wrote:

> _____________
> My reply: So it is still a dream/a belief not a theory or working
> hypothesis for cryonics does not work by scientific method of
> investigation.

Hi Terry, it works currently, but in a scaled fashion. Entire "humans"
are stored in liquid nitrogen, as embryos. We (species we) have also
managed to vitrify entire organs that have emerged in a functioning
state and have been installed in humans as donor organs. There is a
great deal of information about low temperature experimentation in
living humans and animals for surgical purposes, and work is being
done to cryonically store larger and more complex systems using
improved formulae all the time.

So this is entirely a theoretical pursuit with escalating
experimentation within the scientific method. It is not a dream/belief.

A list of independent scientific journal articles, hosted on the Alcor
website:
http://www.alcor.org/sciencerefs.html

Science FAQ:
http://www.alcor.org/sciencefaq.htm

et cetera.

> My reply: Its neither you nor not you for there's no permanent person
> to be identified as change occurs moment to moment in the death of
> cells from a biological process during the interchange of oxygen and
> carbon dioxide. The intercellular system is not a person but a
> biological process among a lot of complex organ system such as brain
> and its supporting structures. What is a person? Its a conventional
> way
> of identifying an individual by social standard/culture using
> ideas/thoughts/memes.

Are you still you after a heart transplant?  If the intercellular
system, the whole she-bang, is halted, and then restored in an
undamaged state, is it still you? Until we prove otherwise, there
isn't any real scientific evidence to suggest that transplantation of
anything other than the brain would change "you-ness". Therefore, if
the above systemic experimentation continues to yield positive
results, at the rate it has in the past twenty years, and medical
instrumentation continues to increase in resolution and capacity, I
would say cryonics will yield its first "real" success in
approximately 180 years, barring any major leap. Just look at Moore's
Law, or the amount of time between the Wright Flier and the Moon
landing for examples of scale.

> My conclusion: Therefore cryonics is a belief not unlike a religious
> belief for immortality. Simulation of collective memories are
> happening
> since the course of human history.
>
> Terry

Actually, and meaning no offense, it would seem to be exactly and
precisely not. More like being a fan of Apple Computer at the worst.
If you want to call that religious belief, then ok. :)

Cheers,

~]3