[ExI] Power resentment [ WAS Re: America: Home of All Evil]

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Tue Mar 25 19:11:02 UTC 2008

>> Those with little power always resent those with more
>> power. This is normal. If the US disappeared, someone
>> else would become the "most" powerful nation and they
>> would then become the object of disdain. Before the US
>> it was Germany, and Russia, and the British and the
>> French, and so it goes on. One day someone else will
>> take the reigns - and they can be hated just the same.
>>

> Not to take away from your observation---which can still
> be pursued separately---we ought to address the general
> question of why the largest or most powerful tribe is
> deeply resented or hated by many, even beyond (so the
> hypothesis goes) what it has actually historically done
> against a particular nation. (The U.S., for example, is widely
> hated in France and Switzerland, even though France and
> the U.S. have been allies for 60 years, and the U.S. and
> Switzerland have never been enemies.)
>
> Is there a genetic basis (probably even coupled to cultural
> practice via cultur-gens (Lumsden and Wilson, 1981)) to
> the resentment of the richest or most powerful other tribe?
> What would be an EP explanation?  Has it anything to do
> with Pierre Trudeau's graphic economic characterization
> of "being in bed with an elephant"?   I really hate it when
> people just ask questions, without making even the least
> effort of an answer themselves---but here I'm doing it,
> but only, because of lack of time and space.

This is indeed an interesting avenue of discussion. I am certain that
there is an EP explanation that runs deep but whether it is genetic or
memetic will be tough to sort out. At first glance it doesn't make sense
that those without the power in an inheritable scenario would be the
one's passing on the genes. If that's the case then it's memetic and not
genetic. But I seem to recall a similar scenario in chimps and baboons.
I can't recall it specifically so I'll have to dig up some research.
I'll change the topic and we can address it later when we have time to.