[ExI] Yes Sam Harris Can

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:21:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM,  <aiguy at comcast.net> wrote:
> Mr. Harris seems to be drawing the false conclusion that it Obama would have
> severed his relationship
> with Wright and his church that he was severing his relationship with his
> religion.
>
> As long as he made clear publicly that the reason he was changing churches
> was to embrace what he
> thought was a truer teaching of the principals of Christianity other
> Christians would have applauded and
> perhaps even followed his example.
>
> Mr. Harris seems to be portraying Obama as a closet atheist who must stay
> with his church and pretend
> to believe if he is to have a chance at election.
>
> I hope Mr. Harris's depiction of Obama is based his imagination and not any
> inside information.
> Because any man who would be so hypocritical, deceitful,  dishonest, and
> manipulative  as to pretend to believe in a religion just to get
> get elected would be the last person I would ever want to see elected into
> the highest office of this land.

I beg to differ. I am not a US citizen, but I believe that the
pratical requirement to stay with one's church, or at least with *a*
church, any church, reflects more badly on the society that imposes it
that on the candidate that has to conform with such expectation if he
wants to have a chance.

Moreover, as much as I hate hypocrisy and dishonesty, I would live
with it any day if the alternative were not just somebody who bows and
defers to the superstitions and beliefs concerned for the sake of
being elected, but somebody who even actually *believes* in them...

Stefano Vaj