[ExI] Predictions for 2008 from 1968

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:33:01 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Kevin Freels wrote:
> I have been working on a complete tear down and rebuild of my home
> for several years and sometimes it just amazes me how archaic the
> processes are and how much technology goes into them. I have
> high-tech lithium-ion powered framing nailers, a laser sliding mitre
> saw, and an insulation blower but still what I am resorting to is
> sticking shaped trees together with metal pins and cramming stuffing
> into the middle to hold in the warmth. Even worse is the need to
> thread the entire structure with pipes and wires. As much fun as I
> have with the framing nailer I can't help but to be a bit
> disappointed in my fancy log cabin from time to time. I should be
> able to design the thing on my computer and just print my new rooms
> with a giant ink-jet; power and plumbing integrated just like an IC
> chip.

Kevin, how about we design that sort of giant "inkjet" printer and
publish the information on the internet, so that hopefully somebody
could implement it should the opportunity arise. Obviously printable
shelter is an important step in making sure we don't randomly die from
weather and so on. I am sure that others have come up with interesting
ways of designing houses.

I remember Buck Fuller came up with the domes that you mention later in
your message, in particular he had a few ideas for cheap, manufactured
houses that are still on display in the Ford museums, made of the same
metals as Boeings and other aircraft. But it never caught on for some
reason. A modular design is possible, I don't see why we can't do this
on our own.

- Bryan