[ExI] Predictions for 2008 from 1968

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Thu Mar 27 05:12:54 UTC 2008

At first when I saw Emlyn's post, I thought - gee - a day late and a
dollar short. But then I looked at what they were doing and realized
they were going about it all wrong. Here's a few problems with their
process:
1.) Concrete construction = ugly
2.) Usefulness is limited with concrete walls. People like to be able to
hang pictures,
3.) Concrete sweats - creates moisture problems.
4.) Flat roofs cause drainage and leakage problems.
5.) They still need to deal with putting in windows and doors, door
frames, trim, and make sure they seal against the concrete which is a
nightmare.
6.) Built on slab instead of crawlspace.
7.) Difficult to remodel.
8.) Stairways, basements, etc cannot be built.

So how do we address these things and make this practical? I'm not sure.
I'm thinking that we would need several different "heads" or "print
cartridges" depending on the application. Foundations would be concrete.
Walls would need to be made of a yet-to-be-invented material. Something
strong, waterproof, easy to change later if you wanted to remodel, yet
soft enough to put a nail in to hang a picture. It would need a very
high R-rating as well. Some parts would have to be modular - such as
windows, doors, etc. But the right process would allow for a snap-in
process. Heads will need to be able to rotate sideways so one could
"print" basic walls, then pop in windows, then "print" the exterior
"finish". The reason is because the way siding and such overlaps windows
seams to ensure there are no leaks. Of course, printing a window would
be nice. But I'm not sure that can be done. I already have some ideas
how the electrical would be done. The main areas to address I see are:
1.) How do you manage to have something that can print as fine as needed
for light switches and hinges and still manage to do walls and floors in
a reasonable time.
2.) What is the absolute fewest number of different materials necessary
to accomplish this.
3.) How do you handle "printing" for things that are above open space?
(ie ceilings, floors over crawlspaces, doorways, etc. This will be
critical when designing hinges, switches, and other such things.
How can each of the materials be made easy to work with?

One thing that just came to mind is epoxy resin. Both are liquid while
apart, but mixed together they solidify. Maybe a similar process could
be used here. Mixing occurs at the nozzle and hardens as it is laid
down. Of course 15 minutes is too long. More like .25 seconds would be
ideal (as a guess).I'll have to put some real thought to it before I
post on the wiki so give me a few days. It would be great to come up
with the requirements and then build a miniature prototype hat makes
miniature houses.
Are you familiar with the open source 3d printer?
http://fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page