[ExI] Uploading and selfhood

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Mar 28 16:51:59 UTC 2008

Michael Miller Wrote:

> the self (and specifically, thoughts) are not something located in or
> identical with the brain

Exactly, and that's an idea fans of uploading have been trying to get
across for years; we don't have thoughts we are thoughts, and thoughts
are not responsible for the machinery that happens to think them.
Why you believe that is a refutation of the uploading concept is beyond me.

> they are a facet of an entire entity, dependent just as much on the whole
> body and the social processes of which we are a part.

Yea yea yea, I've been hearing that line for years, and whenever I do I ask
"even if it's true how does it explain the fact (well you think it's a fact)
that a collection of atoms right there is undoubtly you but an IDENTICAL
collection of atoms over there is not you"? I seldom receive an answer to
my question and when I do it's just a thinly disguises load of religious
mumbo jumbo filled with euphemisms for the word "soul".

  John K Clark