[ExI] website ideas

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 23:27:25 UTC 2008

On Sunday 30 March 2008, spike wrote:
> I had two ideas for the web slinger's among us.  If you get rich from
> either idea, do raise a glass of expensive wine in my honor.
>
> Idea 1.  I have posted way too much stuff on ExI-chat about the dying
> bees last year, and their conspicuous absence this year.  I just came
> in from the back yard: exactly one bee, where usually there are at
> least scores, if not a hundred or more.  I might set up a website for
> bugwatchers: estimate and log the number of various insects, along
> with any other relevant information, such as time of year, place,
> temperature, etc, including each year's fruit harvest for those who
> have fruit trees.

This would be a simple wiki to do. If you want to do this, let's talk
offlist about how to set up a website for these purposes, you might
even be able to host it yourself if you have a stable internet
connection.

> Idea 2.  I talked to my brother in law today.  He took his wife and
> daughters to a restaurant Friday.  The next day he and both daughters
> were barfing sick.  Wife was fine.  Mighta been the restaurant?  We
> should have a website where anyone who gets sick could report the
> details.  Perhaps there is a disgruntled imployee horking goobers in
> the stew?  Or a gruntled but sick employee unwittingly spreading
> something, or an ingredient that is a year beyond it's shelf life, or
> perhaps it is just a coincidence not related to the restaurant.
> Patterns might show up early.  Any barf cluster could alert the
> health department and the management.  Investigations might be made
> in time to spare untold suffering, ja?
>
> Is there already something like this somewhere?

http://fluwiki.com/

Speaking of websites and extropy-chat, I have for long wanted to do a
review and categorization of most if not all emails, to make sure
nothing is particularly lost. Maybe I'll go do this on my own wiki.
Anybody interested in something like this?

- Bryan