[ExI] Next Decade May See No Warming

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu May 1 17:37:26 UTC 2008

At 12:42 AM 5/1/2008 -0700, Lee wrote:

>it's not out of place at all to bring up the other
>side of the story, or data that might support it,
>(whether or not I am myself an entirely unbiased
>source).

Lee, can't you see what you're doing in these sorts of posts? Isn't
your clear implication "Here's more evidence that global heating due
to human activity is bullshit"? Yet, as usual, a moment reading the
BBC item you cited will find this:

< His group's projection diverges from other computer models only for
about 15-20 years; after that, the curves come back together and
temperatures rise....

The projection does not come as a surprise to climate scientists,
though it may to a public that has perhaps become used to the idea
that the rapid temperature rises seen through the 1990s are a
permanent phenomenon.

"We've always known that the climate varies naturally from year to
year and decade to decade," said Richard Wood from the UK's Hadley
Centre, who reviewed the new research for Nature.

"We expect man-made global warming to be superimposed on those
natural variations; and this kind of research is important to make
sure we don't get distracted from the longer term changes that will
happen in the climate (as a result of greenhouse gas emissions)." >

What comfort do you get from this?

The comfort *I* get is the possibility that this countervailing or
offsetting cooling gives us a little more time to do something to
correct the longer-term disruption (should we choose to do so), and
that due to the predicted accelerations of technology over the next
15-20 years we'll be better able to do that in 2030, and less
expensively, than we can now. Is that what you had in mind? (Bearing
in mind that during those years, anthropogenic factors will also
increase *drastically* as the Third World tears headlong into 20th
century industrialization.)

Damien Broderick