[ExI] Next Decade May See No Warming

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri May 2 03:15:14 UTC 2008

At 07:53 PM 5/1/2008 -0700, Lee asked me:

>what odds would you give, if you
>were someone who gave odds and were someone who's
>a betting man, that average temperatures 30 years from
>now will be warmer than they are now?

On the available evidence I've seen, and in the absence of heroic
remediation measures, I feel very confident indeed that this will be
the case. But my point was that *so, too, is the guy you quoted,
apparently in the belief that he was saying the contrary!* Here's the
quote again:

"We expect man-made global warming to be superimposed on those
natural variations; and this kind of research is important to make
sure we don't get distracted from the longer term changes that will
happen in the climate (as a result of greenhouse gas emissions)."

Damien Broderick