[ExI] Under the libertarian yoke

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat May 3 16:39:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  --- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Brainstorm here with us on how to solve the problem of global warming,
>  > assuming that we have been invaded by highly advanced (and therefore
>  > libertarian) aliens, who say they will fry with lasers everybody who
>  > initiates the use of force but they won't help us otherwise in dealing
>  > with our problems (of course they won't, they are heartless
>  > libertarians). So, willy-nilly, if you want to avoid a miserable death
>  > on a parched planet, you have to deal with global warming without
>  > simply grabbing a gun and going after people who disagree with you.
>
>  When I was in college, a friend of mine named James Pitts wrote a science
>  fiction short story regarding genetically-engineered bacteria that when
>  injected into an oil field rapidly metabolized the oil and polymerized it into
>  a fibrous gelatinous mass that was impossible to pump out of the ground.
>
>  Such an organism used on oil fields throughout the world might render them
>  useless thus bringing the world to the point it would be in a few decades any
>  way. One could concievably do this without violence or even without anyone
>  knowing it had been done deliberately. Companies would have to switch to green
>  energy because there would be no alternative. All without spilling a drop of
>  blood. Although Exxon-Mobil might spill plenty of blood if it knew who was
>  responsible such a thing.

### I can assure you that destroying our economy, including
agriculture, would spill many millions of gallons of blood, as the
population is reduced by about 70 - 80% in the ensuing food riots and
mass famine.

Do you really hate "companies" so much that you can think about
something like that as a neat solution?

Jeez.

Rafal