[ExI] What is the Right Reproductive Age?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun May 4 19:21:05 UTC 2008

Natasha writes

> > Yes. That's when girls should be having children. [13-17]
> >
> > > "[S]hould"?  Come on.
> > >
> > > It is always difficult for me to read this posts concerning women's
> > > periods, sexual pleasures, fertility...by anyone who has not
> > > had the experience.
>
> Sorry didn't mean to come down so hard.

Oh, not at all  :-)    No apology needed, but thanks anyway.
Sorry that I responded to the above before I saw this last.

> But there is no appropriate or right age for producing a child.
> Let me explain why:  the body does not always follow the
> sentiment of one's psychology.  And just because eggs are
> fresh does not mean that they are healthy.   Biology, as we
> are all fully aware, does not keep up with the times and
> lags far behind what many women today realize as their
> preferred future(s).

The links Amara pointed to sum up the situation pretty
well. *Statistically speaking*, most females are at the
height of their reproductive ages in their teenage years.

Yes, there is indeed a clash between what their bodies
are ready for, and what they, as individuals are ready
for. Hence my idea that girls should get their children
out of their way, biologically speaking, by the time
they're 17, get their tubes tied or whatever, and then
get on with their lives. Later, at age 35-55, they can
in turn raise their children's children according to the
same plan.

> Susan, Julie or Jerry can have their own right productive
> age(s),

Exactly!  And it may fall entirely out of the range regarded
as "normal". And who is to know?  That knowledge is
*local* and cannot and should not be determined hundreds
of miles away by politicians. Susan, Julie, and Jerry and
the people closest to them have the most knowledge, and
the decision should be left in their hands. The rest of us
can get on with our own business.

> One day  women will not have to undergo the stern/rigid
> historical plan and opt to have children at anytime,
> anywhere because they/we want to invest in developing
> life, intelligence, and the expression of joy/love.

Well said!

> It is a fairly sure bet that the stigma of reproduction outside
> the social norm of reproduction will change as mosaic
> births come about and the favored couple-parenting
> falls out of favor if children of one parent or several
> parents grow up to be healthy, kind and generous people.

Right. Even now we have the technologies. Men should
get over the idea that they simply must pass on their own
genes to as many viable offspring as possible. Families
wishing children should use the best sperm available
with the finest pedigree that fits their preferences.

Or, as I propose, if we can't develop artificial wombs,
then let the young girl and her parents decide who the
biological father should be using artificial insemination,
and let the (grand) parents raise the kids.

Best wishes,
Lee