[ExI] Wikipedia Corruption

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:36:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> BillK writes
>
> >>  Can anyone further substantiate the charge that
> >>  Wikipedia is "corrupt", or suggest links (that you
> >>  endorse) that would back up this claim?
> >
> > I thought everyone was familiar with the news articles over the past
> > year or two about the problems with Wikipedia.
>
> I had heard a few complaints, yes. But no, I hadn't ever
> bothered to read whole articles about it. People are always
> getting into political and semi-political fights over practically
> nothing---turf wars, you know. Work for idle hands, you
> know.

In fact, I believe that Wikipedia, like any other media, rather than a turf
war is is a war turf, where different ideas and views compete on the basis
of balances of sheer weight and motivation, and in principle of a few rules.
They do compete on visibility, spin, language, etc.

Transhumanists have an obvious interest to defend at least what may concern
their own presentation and/or presence therein, but of course the story does
not end here. If, say, neoluddites have more time on their hand or more
willingness to make use of it, or manage to control otherwise Wikipedia in
this respect, this is not the end of the war, but for sure it is a small
lost battle...

Stefano Vaj