[ExI] SOCIAL: Self-direction in Hungary

M1N3R m1n3r2 at hotmail.com
Mon May 19 09:00:23 UTC 2008

Something that's been keeping me thinking was affirmed while reading Max
More: Extropian Principles. Setting goals for one's self, controlling
ourselves to ensure lasting positive thinking, so self-direction in general
is a magnificent thing indeed. Easterners (China, Japan) have their
traditional way in this (I'd be glad to share my knowledge on that as well,
that is, on Karate mainly if it is of interest to you).

However, and here comes the bad part, the vast majority is simply unable to
practice self-direction due to a lack of understanding. Of intelligence, if
I may say that. Being open-minded requires intelligence, right? I'm most
convinced that Intelligence Enhancement has been put to debate already.
Priority one, I think. I hope it will be achieved. But there is something
else as well...

I'd like to add something that bothers me most. I prefer empirical methods
and have, so to say, conducted my own research in Hungary. I've worked in
factories (and generally workplaces considered... low) and spoken to as many
people as I could. Conclusion was: people were generally disinterested, not
caring about anything apart from 1. what is immediately before them
(interval of 1-2 weeks, or even days) and 2. what was BAD. It was easier to
talk about death, the lack of money, the lack of anything than of a way to
improve the situation or of happy things (pretty dumb if I put it like this
but I'm sure you understand nevertheless). Tell me, are Hungarians the only
people who would rather cry than laugh? Despite the fact that we have food
to eat, pretty much water to drink, nothing to fear of (no tornadoes, no
floods, no earthquakes, no nothing). Even our National Anthem is about death
and losing battle and sadness etc. I'd just as soon give everything I can to
improve this situation. And I'm most convinced this has never been put to
debate. If you are interested, I'll share all information there is about the
situation.

What I think is this: to make the movement successful, to ensure a good
democracy, to ensure that people are able to build on their innate abilities
and practice self-direction, there is a great need for 'spreading the word'
(in Hungary). And that is not equals forcing it on people. Like I haven't
been aware of you until a bit more than two months. I'm so convinced that I
could find a lot of people, who, after their eye was opened, could make a
valuable addition to the list. I just don't know how to do that.

M1N3R