[ExI] Prudes, Protestants, Progress, and Profit

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:10:10 UTC 2008

M1N3R wrote:
This might be a little far-fetched, but 1984 came to my mind instantly.
There was the love of the party as the sole purpose for all party members.
They also avoided having fun of any kind, well they had violence to act
against the sexual urge. Yeah, most people will just frown upon such a book
but it was most interesting. Have you read it?

"our scientists, even now, work to eliminate the orgasm!"

Yes, I read it in a highschool class I took on science fiction (the
english teacher who taught the class & developed the curriculum had an
uphill battle to get the course approved, because it was seen as
frivolous).  And after reading the book we saw the film that starred
Richard Burton and Ian McKellen (which I thought was very good).  At
least in "Brave New World" they had fun, but probably too much fun,
and with the purpose of keeping their minds off their social and
technological stagnation.

John Grigg