[ExI] 1984 and Orwell's Warnings

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed May 21 03:30:14 UTC 2008

At 05:59 PM 5/20/2008 -0700, Lee wrote:

>For so many, It is not enough  to deny God and to
>repudiate religion and to completely reject such
>mysticism and prescientific thinking.  Oh no, they
>*must* go for much more: the Politically Correct
>instinct demands that every trace of "incorrect thought"
>be obliterated

My sense of this is that many Jewish scholars (who are, as we know,
hugely more influential than their numbers might suggest, and who are
not notorious for denying God) recommended BCE [before common era]
because AD and BC are so palpably partisan, even if only as a
fossilized metaphor. Fair enough, I say.

Oh, wait. Wikipedia says otherwise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

<Originating among Christians in Europe at least as early as 1615 (at
first in
Latin),<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era#cite_note-VulgarisAerae1-7>[8]
Common Era notation has been adopted in several non-Christian
cultures, by many scholars in religious studies and other academic
fields,<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era#cite_note-8>[9]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era#cite_note-9>[10]
and by others wishing to be sensitive to
non-Christians.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era#cite_note-cst-10>[11] >

Damien Broderick