[ExI] LA Times: 'Hope' makes a case for stem cell research

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Sat May 24 00:53:23 UTC 2008

Hi Spike,
Perhaps, perhaps...

Perhaps private research will turn up a viable stem cell therapy. However, I
do not believe it would be correct to characterize their budgets as
"unlimited." In fact, some private money was probably scarred away for fear
by investors that the Bush Administration would hamper the approval process
for stem cell therapies. Just look at how they retarded the approval process
for new birth control meds.

Perhaps, as you suggest, stem cell therapies will turn out to be a blind
alley. If so, would it not make more sense to have found that out 8 years
sooner?

Finally, while you may take my criticism as "blind desire to blame Bush for
something" I can assure you it is nothing of the sort. I gave Bush every
chance to do well. I never wrote one word against him for the first 5 years
of his administration. But the time is growing late, his final term is
almost over, and his record is appalling: budget-busting deficit spending,
advocating the teaching of creationism/intelligent design in American public
schools, squandering the sympathy the USA garnered after the attacks of
September 11 2001 by pursuing an aggressive war in Iraq and then utterly
bungling that military misadventure.

The only remaining unanswered question about Bush, in my view, is whether
his stupidity exceeded his incompetence or vice versa.

Sad. Very sad.

Regards,
Mike LaTorra