[ExI] A paper that actually does solve the problem of consciousness

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Nov 14 17:27:43 UTC 2008

I completed the first draft of a technical paper on consciousness the
other day.   It is intended for the AGI-09 conference, and it can be
found at:

http://susaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/draft_consciousness_rpwl.pdf

The title is "Consciousness in Human and Machine: A Theory and Some
Falsifiable Predictions", and it does solve the problem, believe it or not.

But I have no illusions:  it will be misunderstood, at the very least.
I expect there will be plenty of people who argue that it does not solve
the problem, but I don't really care, because I think history will
eventually show that this is indeed the right answer.  It gives a
satisfying answer to all the outstanding questions and it feels right.

Oh, and it does make some testable predictions.  Alas, we do not yet
have the technology to perform the tests yet, but the predictions are on
the table, anyhow.

In a longer version I would go into a lot more detail, introducing  the
background material at more length, analyzing the other proposals that
have been made and fleshing out the technical aspects along several
dimensions.  But the size limit for the conference was 6 pages, so that
was all I could cram in.

Richard Loosemore

P.S.  Yes, I know: everyone and their mother has a theory of
consciousness these days.  But, believe me, I wouldn't dare to join that
(mostly confused and disreputable) crowd unless I really thought that
this paper actually *did* solve the problem.