[ExI] A paper that actually does solve the problem of consciousness

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 18:38:18 UTC 2008

Richard,

Oh, AGI 09.  That sounds fun too.

When you say:

 > Chalmers' argument is *consistent* with what I have argued, but the
two statements are very very different.

That is precisely the type of information we are attempting to capture
concisely and quantitatively at canonizer.com.  Almost nobody agrees on
every single little thing.  And we tend to spend all our time on the
little minor disagreements, when in reality, unbeknownst to most, there
is quite a bit of consistency and agreement after all on many critically
important things.  Our inability to capture and measure this consensus
concisely and quantitatively is why so many junk theories and noise
survive and so effectively drown out the real signal that I believe
we'll soon find within all the noise loud and clear.

So, in other words, perhaps we could work with the members of that
Chalmers camp to create a 'super camp' containing all the things that
are 'consistent' with what all of you agree with.  All of the great
additions that you have that they all agree with can be added to that
super camp they 'support'.  Anything that they all do not fully agree
with can be added to your own supporting sub camp.  A good way to get
started, would be to join this camp, if you agree with most of it.  You
will then received communication from the camp and topic forums about
proposed improvements, and have 'object' privileges to proposed changes
to your camp - preventing them from going live (such can then be added
to a competing sibling camp or supporting sub camp.)

That is why the representationalist camp is so vague on many things.  It
simply states that our conscious knowledge is the final result of the
cause and effect chain of events that is pereception and located in our
head.  This is what we all agree on.  There are obviously a diverse set
of compeeting theories about what this phenomenal knowledge is,
precicely.  All this is being continually developed as we write.  So you
need to read and follow the various sub camps to see the survey of the
various theories beyond representationalism as they continue to develop.

You picked up quite a bit from your simple reading of the phenomenal
properties camp, but you are still obviously missing quite a bit.  (as I
surely am still missing much about your beliefs)  We know that the stuff
on the surface of a strawberry has a behavioral property in that it
causes 700 nm light to reflect in a certain pattern.  Science tells  us
all about this behavior, but not much about the how or why, and it is
very blind to any other properties beyond mere behavior.  Our theory
simply is that in addition to such causal behavioral properties, there
is something in our brain that also has phenomenal properties.

This is of course way oversimplifying things but as an example say one
neurotransitter has a red phenomenal property, and another a green.  So
evolution simply used the phenomenal properties of these two neural
transmitters to represent both the red strawberry and the green leaves
in an intelligently distinguishable conscious way.  Just because cause
and effect observation is blind to anything other than behavioral
properties doesn't mean that they do not have such more than behavioral
properties.  Nor does it mean that evolution could not utilize such
ineffable properties o make us more intelligent in a phenomenally
conscious way.

The predictions and falsifiable claims are simply that some of your
falisfiable predictions will be wrong, and that we will descover just
what it is in nature that has these phenomenal properties.  If all the
claims made by your theory turn out to be true, this theory will be
falsified.  If, as this theory predicts, we discover that something in
our brain does have phenomenal properties, that evolution has used these
phenomenal properties to represent our knowledge, and if we develop the
ability to map and eff such to each other's minds (as in oh THAT is what
red is like for you), it will prove this theory correct, and at least
some of your theories' predictions wrong.

We're very much looking forward to getting your theories concisely
stated and quantitatively measured with all the other theories.  And I
think you are very much a 'Mind Expert' so I (and surely others) would
love to join your camp if you would create one containing some of your
bio information representing you with other experts here:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/81.

I'm betting that all these Hard Problem camps are about to collapse into
one - the discovery of what the mind really is.  And I bet this will be,
by far, the greatest and most world changing scientific achievement of
all time.  Boy, is this going to be dramatic, and what a wonderful time
to be alive to likely witness and be a part of such and to see who are
the first ones in that camp.

Thanks

Brent Allsop