[ExI] A paper that actually does solve the problem of consciousness

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 19:08:24 UTC 2008

At 11:38 AM 11/15/2008 -0700, Brent wrote:

 >If, as this theory predicts, we discover that something in our
 >brain does have phenomenal properties

Ah--then does the brain also have non-reductive *musicality*
properties over and above these postulated
hearing-air-vibrations-as-sound-qualia properties? I mean, sure,
let's say we need these mysterious additional raw qualia detectors
just to *eff* sounds qua sounds, but doesn't that leave out our
capacity to identify and enjoy *musical* sound qualia? Are these
meta-[in]effable properties? You might say No, appreciating music is
just a neurocomputational/affective response to the basic sound
qualia, both innate and learned, but isn't that just *evading the
issue* of the (as it were) unutterable mysteriousness of music, its
meta-[in]effable character? And so on, turtles of different voice in
every direction.

Damien Broderick