[ExI] A paper that actually does solve the problem of consciousness

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Sat Nov 15 22:39:18 UTC 2008

Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 11:38 AM 11/15/2008 -0700, Brent wrote:
>
>  >If, as this theory predicts, we discover that something in our
>  >brain does have phenomenal properties
>
> Ah--then does the brain also have non-reductive *musicality* properties
> over and above these postulated hearing-air-vibrations-as-sound-qualia
> properties? I mean, sure, let's say we need these mysterious additional
> raw qualia detectors just to *eff* sounds qua sounds, but doesn't that
> leave out our capacity to identify and enjoy *musical* sound qualia? Are
> these meta-[in]effable properties? You might say No, appreciating music
> is just a neurocomputational/affective response to the basic sound
> qualia, both innate and learned, but isn't that just *evading the issue*
> of the (as it were) unutterable mysteriousness of music, its
> meta-[in]effable character? And so on, turtles of different voice in
> every direction.

Ben Goertzel made a similar point, on the AGI list, re the higher-level
"conscious experience" of a chair (versus the common-or-garden raw
qualia like the colors of all the bits of a chair).

If concept-atoms that represent qualia cause us to speak of the
"conscious experience of the color red", and so on, then we would expect
that a concept-atom one level up, encoding the conjunction of all the
qualia involved in a chair percept, would also tend to make us talk the
same way, although to a lesser extent.  Why?  Because that higher-level
concept-atom would still inherit a good deal of the unanalyzability of
teh Level-0 ones. In other words, the analysis mechanism would fail
after just one unpacking step, and this would end up looking like a
diluted form of a "conscious" experience.

The same argument would apply to music, as a combination of sound qualia.

It is important to note that in general people do not speak of "music"
qualia, although they do (as you just did) speak of a lesser form of
mystery in the subjective quality of music.

Richard Loosemore