[ExI] [Bulk] Re: Thoughts on Space based solar power (alternatives)

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Nov 23 15:05:08 UTC 2008

At 05:53 PM 11/22/2008, Paul wrote:

>>And here is the deeper issue -- we are arguing here over renewable
>>energy prospects, not the best way to make space habitation happen.

There are practical and political problems with paving Arizona with
solar panels.  For example, the locals may object.  The same is true
of putting in an area of solar panels equal to the area of the roads.

Some people, most recently a certain Mars fanatic, don't see the
value of reducing the cost of getting to GEO from $20,000/kg to
$100/kg especially when the traffic model is a million tons a year.

I won't say this will automatically lead to space habitats, but a 200
to one reduction in the cost has got to make it easier.

Keith