[ExI] Thoughts on Space based solar power (alternatives)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sun Nov 23 19:24:17 UTC 2008

hkhenson wrote:
> At 05:53 PM 11/22/2008, Paul wrote:
>>> And here is the deeper issue -- we are arguing here over renewable
>>> energy prospects, not the best way to make space habitation happen.
>
> There are practical and political problems with paving Arizona with
> solar panels.  For example, the locals may object.  The same is true of
> putting in an area of solar panels equal to the area of the roads.

The current system in unsustainable. Everyone will object if it fails. Who
is going to suffer in the transition? That's politics, sadly, and if it is
like usual, it will be the politically poor and weak who suffer most, no
matter what the solutions are. As a society, we can try to redress this in
part by money, but money only goes so far in dealing with issues like the
desecration of sacred lands or the loss of social capital when forced to
move though an application of "eminent domain". Hydropower dams are good
examples of that, and many people are questioning them. But, there are other
options as well -- energy efficiency and ocean solar are two of them. One
reduces demand, the other would involve producing energy on large floating
cities in the ocean and sending it onshore via power cables or hydrogen or
synthetic liquid fuels. Of course, whether ocean operations are easier than
space operations is questionable, but a lot more people know about ocean
operations, same as why Microsoft Windows is still dominant on the desktop
from inertia even with GNU/Linux as a free alternative that is better in
some ways.

Part of how I feel on solar space satellites is also how I feel about
nuclear power. Politics is perhaps the biggest issue in some ways, as either
involves trusting to a remote elite (financial or technical) for my daily
electricity. On an engineering "time constant" basis(*), the time constant
for depending on elites to give me electricity when I buy a solar panel is
every thirty years or so. :-) The time constant for depending on elites when
I get my power from a grid powered by solar power satellites is
microseconds. :-( So, for me, on that basis, local solutions have a lot of
merit if they are in anyway comparable in costs (including local labor time
costs, depending how I feel about the labor, for example some people like to
chop wood, but many do not, as you pointed out.) Still, there are nuclear
reactor proposals where a single home or small cluster of homes could be