[ExI] [Bulk] Re: Thoughts on Space based solar power (alternatives)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 22:49:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM, hkhenson wrote:
> There are practical and political problems with paving Arizona with solar
> panels.  For example, the locals may object.  The same is true of putting in
> an area of solar panels equal to the area of the roads.

No, we'll pave *everything* with solar films.

IBM have just unveiled today, the third annual "IBM Next Five in
Five". This is a list of innovations that have the potential to change
the way people work, live and play over the next five years.

<http://www.physorg.com/news146852022.html>

The first item is relevant to this discussion.

Quote:
Energy saving solar technology will be built into asphalt, paint and windows

Ever wonder how much energy could be created by having solar
technology embedded in our sidewalks, driveways, siding, paint,
rooftops, and windows? In the next five years, solar energy will be an
affordable option for you and your neighbors. Until now, the materials
and the process of producing solar cells to convert into solar energy
have been too costly for widespread adoption. But now this is changing
with the creation of "thin-film" solar cells, a new type of
cost-efficient solar cell that can be 100 times thinner than
silicon-wafer cells and produced at a lower cost. These new thin-film
solar cells can be "printed" and arranged on a flexible backing,
suitable for not only the tops, but also the sides of buildings,
tinted windows, cell phones, notebook computers, cars, and even
clothing.

That's what I'm expecting and hoping for.  :)

BillK