[ExI] Google funding opportunity

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 22:14:13 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 10/9/08, Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> From: Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Google funding opportunity
> To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
> Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 1:38 PM
> --- On Thu, 10/9/08, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Normally, Adrian, I'd agree with you re the
> pessimistic
> > default
> > presumption, but we're dealing with Google culture
> > here, not your
> > standard tired, conventional, corporate old boy fossil
> > culture.  So I
> > think there's maybe more room for optimism.
>
> Well, that's certainly possible in the first round, but
> the second round is open to public voting.  Anything
> that doesn't spell its message out simply is probably
> doomed.  (I wonder about the chances of any entry that
> does not have an "optional" YouTube video
> attached, for
> example.)

Have you guys read the terms of service for this particular contest? Check out this link, especially the comments:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/project_10100_google_wants_to.php

excerpt: "Great idea, only the idea submitter gets no credit or opportunity to be a part of it. They get "good karma" as Google describes it."

Stuart LaForge

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up." -- Solomon