[ExI] [Soc]Complex Adaptive Systems - Tending Always to 50/50 split

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 00:23:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Jef Allbright wrote:
> More specifically, I'm referring to the tendency of political systems
> representing a complex mix of values (perceived preferences) to arrive
> at a roughly 50/50 split across populations.
>
> More pointedly, I'm referring to the apparent lack of formal
> recognition of this natural dynamic, fundamental in system-theoretic
> and information-theoretic terms, toward high-probability **bipolar**
> separation regardless of the complex hierarchy of the supporting
> matrix of values represented.

What is your evidence for this 50/50 split?
It happens in the US two-party system, but not elsewhere.

Or are you just pointing at the obvious effect of a
'first-past-the-post' system where 51% gets to be the government and
49% the opposition?

Where proportional representation voting is allowed, you get a myriad
of political groups voted into government. This is not a 50/50 split.
But they then have to negotiate among themselves to try and find a
majority grouping that can get laws passed. i.e. form a 51% grouping
to enable government.

I'm not sure whether your 'natural dynamic' actually exists, apart
from the fact that you need at least 51% to form a government.

BillK