[ExI] dichloroacetate: Yet another internet conspiracy theory

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 12:30:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:00 AM, The Avantguardian wrote:
> I remind you that there is a known safe and efficacious drug that cures most cancers in rats but dying cancer
> patients never receive because the drug is in the public domain. Google 'dichloroacetate' if you don't believe me.

Well, I googled and I don't believe you.

DCA is *not* known to be safe.
Numbness and paralysis and increased risk of liver damage or liver
cancer are some of the recorded side effects.

Reducing tumors (not 'curing cancer') in rats doesn't mean that it
will do the same in humans.
Cancer researchers have 'cured' thousands of rats.

The optimal dosage is unknown. Many medicines poison humans if too
much is given. This is the main factor that the original researchers
in Edmonton are now working on.

Developing cancer drugs does not depend on the giant drugs companies.
Much research and trials are done by the cancer charities. Trials of
DCA are already being organized. However, many drugs are tried, but
few succeed.

Cancer often goes though periods of remission. A few people saying 'It
worked for me!' is pretty much useless information. It only indicates
that proper trials might be worthwhile. Many more people claim that
visiting Lourdes cured their illnesses.

This is symptomatic of what happens on the Internet. A few 'believers'
(in anything!) get together and start encouraging each other in
whatever belief they have a common interest in. The failures are never
reported and leave. Only the believers remain.
This isn't science! This is gossip.

Science works by proper double-blind testing, peer review and other
scientists duplicating the results.

BillK