[ExI] creationism in britain?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Sep 14 22:27:25 UTC 2008

MB writes

> [Spike wrote]
>
>> My British friends, do tell me this creationism plague long suffered by
>> American scientists isn't spreading to England of all places on this
>> superstitious planet.
>
> Oh indeed it is spreading, between the AIG folks and the conservative Muslims
> there's a goodly number of believers.
>
> However, if you read the article carefully, you'll see the gentleman is recommending
> an approach to dealing with creationist discussion *when it arises* in science
> classes - one that he hopes might be more effective than the approach he had been
> using for years.
>
> It sounds to me rather like the approach I used with my own children. When they
> asked religious-type questions I tried to answer them without freaking out - mostly
> by admitting that people had worried and thought about these subjects for centuries
> and the church answers were.... and the science answers were....
>
> I don't know the "right" way to deal with these subjects.

Here is what I think would work (it worked on me, anyway).

Raise the children in some mild branch of your favorite religion
such as Christianity (there are so many sects to choose from).
Make sure---for the inoculation to take well---that it is indeed
*mild*, no Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, 7th Day Adventists
or anything of the kind. Just a little Methodist, Presbyterian, or
Episcopalian exposure, Sunday School, a few sermons, nothing
heavy duty.

Then the kids will naturally outgrow it, start to find it rather
absurd by the time they're getting out of their teens, and---having
heard all the BS before, will have built up a natural immunity
towards the real thing.

Lee

P.S. Thanks for setting me straight on "metes", MB, and to those
of you who sent off-list help.