[ExI] why so close? was: RE: Tim Wise on White Privilege

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 16 13:55:22 UTC 2008

Spike wrote:
> The presidential candidate on one ticket seems to be running against
> the vice-presidential candidate on the other...

>John wrote: McCain very well might die in office and so Sarah Palin would
become
*the* president.  This alone is a major reason for focusing on her
candidacy.
... John

Certainly true, statistically likely.  But one campaign seems to have lost
sight of an important detail.  To run for president requires winning a
primary, which takes jillions of votes.  To run for VP requires only one
vote.  So for one presidential nominee to run against the VP on the other
ticket is a losing proposition.

By hammering on the fact that the one guy is really old causes the really
old voters to feel irrelevant.  The over 80 crowd may show up in teeming
grey hordes at the polls to show us irrelevant.