[ExI] What Makes People Vote Republican

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 18 17:29:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:05:10AM -0500, Kevin Freels wrote:

> The Libertarian party needs a stated long-term goal; something like
> "we are committed to building a much larger base and winning the 2016
> election." along with some simple press statements such as "Most
> people are somewhat libertarian and don't even know it. We feel that

"somewhat libertarian" isn't all that Libertarian, though.  That
quiz2d.com link?  It's by a libertarian, though he's shifted from right
to left, and probably catered to libertarian populations.  But "abolish
all taxes" is the single least popular position.  Legalizing heroin does
better.

Internet polls aren't scientific but it's suggestive.

Or
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/magazine/07Inequality-t.html
People surrounded by things that just work don't want to be told that
government can't work, they want a party that'll make government also
work.  -- I think it also connected Democraticness with inequality, from
either end, with Republican voters often being in homogenous suburbs
where they don't see the poor.

-xx- Damien X-)