[ExI] What Makes People Vote Republican

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 07:06:42 UTC 2008

2008/9/22 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
>> ...I read "The Audacity of Hope"
>> recently, it would give you a good feel for where he stands...Too many
>> christian references in US politics, weirds me... Emlyn
>
> Ja me too, but this can't necessarily be held uniquely against Sen. Obama,
> being as all four of the candidates on the two major tickets are
> self-professed christians.  This number might be three point something, for
> recently Sen. Obama repudiated pastor Rev. Wright.  But in so doing it isn't
> entirely clear if he was repudiating only Rev. Wright's dozen or so YouTubed
> inflammatory comments, only Rev. Wright the man, or only Wright and his
> congregation (who were guilty of not telling Obama the many repugnant things
> the Reverend had uttered during the Sundays the Obama family was absent) or
> repudiating Reverent Wright, his congregation, the denomination,
> christianity and all other religion, or perhaps some random combination of
> the above.  Does anyone here know?  Why don't we know?  Is there a specific
> quote?  To me the repudiation seemed a bit vague and open ended.  Why is
> that?

I'm not sure. I do know he went on and on about his faith in Audacity,
and I'd be very surprised if he meant to repudiate his faith itself,
that's enormously unlikely. More's the pity!

And yes, I hadn't meant to single him out on his religiousness by any
means; I'm sure the democrats are usually the less religious of the
two right wing parties. That's all the more depressing though.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com - my home
http://point7.wordpress.com - downshifting and ranting