[ExI] Problems with Platonia again

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 13:20:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Ah. Yes. Now perhaps we supply the same (rather empty)
> answer. Platonia may consist of 10^20 identical snapshots
> of the apple making contact with Newton's head, and only
> two or three of each instant of it circling his head around and
> around. In other words, apply the "measure" answer.

Sounds like a statistician "normalizing" those few outlying data
points that would otherwise screw up a smooth curve.  :)

> Oh, Stathis had said what I'm saying already. Somehow it didn't
> connect until your post.

i'm happy to have contributed some clarity to the discussion - even if
it was someone else's point :)

> Yes, that's exactly right! Well, maybe the Platonians have
> an answer to that too, but it doesn't seem to affect my take
> on all this. For with me, physical law comes first, and then
> patterns emerge (in constrained ways) so that personal
> experience is way down (?) on the conceptual ladder.
> I mean, it's a consequence, not a basic tenat.

So where is the observer relative to Platonia to observe the "passage"
of time or the movement from moment to moment?