[ExI] U.S. Medical Care

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Apr 5 09:11:13 UTC 2009

Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 01:15 PM 4/3/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:
> > [Damien wrote]
>>
>> Point well taken however.  All posters, please read your stuff twice
>> before posting.

That wasn't the problem here.

> Mirco's statement wasn't an accidental slip of the keyboard; he later
> repeated his sentiment. But perhaps it's a language problem,

Ya think?

You give and gave absolutely *no* indication that you were
trying to read the *meaning* behind his words.

> since "alienated" in English usage means disaffected with
 > one's situation or culture, not "requiring treatment by
 > an alienist". Still, this is pretty damned creepy:

Ah, I perhaps too charitably try to read the best meaning
into others' statements. (Well---I do confess that I have
occasionally jumped on a word---the temptation for all of
us is obvious---but please, when it's someone else's
second language, let's go an extra distance with the
principle of charity.

> "Maybe you think I advocated to put him/her inside an asylum forever,
> but I'm not doing this.
> I only advocate to do it for the limited time needed to make him/her
> calm and not dangerous for him/herself and others and, maybe, help
> him/her to not feel alienated."

Note the word "calm". We all know that the violent or dangerous
are institutionalized, and perhaps necessarily so (in want of
sending them to jail).

Clearly there is *some* set of conditions that you and Mirco
would agree called for action to be taken. Wouldn't it be
more productive to investigate what that common set of
conditions is, or at least ask for clarification before
blasting away?

Lee