[ExI] Underpopulation, not Overpopulation (was Re: To Arms!)

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Apr 5 16:26:47 UTC 2009

> 2009/4/5 Dagon Gmail <dagonweb at gmail.com>:
> >
> > I say that overpopulation is the single most biggest tragedy humanity
suffers right now...

Sure but take a step back and look at it this way.  Whenever people utter
this meme, what they really mean is something more like "It's not so much
that there are too many people like me, too many extropians, too many
Mensans, too many rich people, it's that there are way too many [fill in the
blank] and they are breeding like alley cats."

The fundamental problem is that [blank] is saying the same thing about you.
Both want to limit or preferably eliminate the other guy, like the
northbound ants vs the southbound ants fighting over access holes.  Allow me
to propose a new and different way to view the problem, a way we discussed
in the forum about twelve years ago.

Imagine a bar graph with number of people on the vertical and value of their
skill set on the horizontal, a log-log scale.  With technological increase,
we can build machines capable of building machines, so factory workers
become less valuable.  With computers, some knowledge workers become more
valuble, but most become less valuable.  Over time we see that an ever
greater portion of humankind have ever smaller value to society.  As the
rich get richer, the poor breed faster.  We see these trends accelerating
today.  Extrapolations welcome, answer like a real extropian please.  When
in doubt visit the extropian principles site:

http://www.maxmore.com/extprn3.htm

In fact, do read over that document in any case.  We should all review it
occasionally just to make sure we are in the right internet neighborhood.