[ExI] Is this an April Fool's hoax? was What's wrong with this picture?

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:53:53 UTC 2009

I offered this up sans substantive clues so you could  have some fun
with it.  But no one seemed interested.  So here it is again, with
spoilers below.  Go to the website and check it out, or read the
spoilers and then check it out.  Your call.

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/2009-04-02/u-professor-discovers-liquid-salt-water-mars

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

In the middle of the piece, we find the comment:

"When Phoenix returned to Earth Nov. 10, 2008, researchers analyzed
the soil collected from the lander."

But I'm sure no Mars mission has returned any samples to Earth.  I
then went to the top of the Michigan Daily web page and saw that the
article was dated April 1st.  I have not even checked the Phoenix
mission website to confirm.

Maybe I should do that before I embarrass myself (again).   Naaaaaah.

Best, Jeff Davis