[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 02:49:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps we could ask the list: is there anyone who would ordinarily
> refuse destructive teleportation but would accept if guaranteed that
> their soul/ consciousness/ precious bodily fluids would be duplicated?

Well, I don't really have anywhere useful to teleport "to" at the
moment, but if there is some kind of compensation backing that
guarantee...  Then I might be tempted to teleport to anywhere, then
try to collect the compensation when I later claim that my "qualia
feels all wrong" because I know for sure there's no way to disprove my
claim.

But on the grounds of honesty, I have to admit that I'm ambivalent
regarding teleportation.  By the time we have the technology so it
would matter, we'll also have either ReallyGood drugs / effective mind
reprogramming so any nagging guilt I might feel can also be simply
excised.