[ExI] What's wrong with Maher's Religulous?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Apr 10 18:07:42 UTC 2009

<http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/printable/6447/>

>on whether new atheists are really "humanists" or not
>- in fact, anthropocentrism is something that must overcome even more
>quickly than man itself -; but I found somewhat disquieting the
>author's allusions to a profoundly "anti-sublime", anti-promethean,
>not to mention "millenialist",  spirit which would pervade at least in
>part New Atheism's mentality, a few echos of which I easily find in
>authors such as Hitchens.

And interestingly O'Neill's criticism (to the
extent that it's justified, and Dawkins always
seems vulnerable) fails to touch most transhumanism:

<Many of the great atheists of old recognised
that religious stories – of some ‘great man’ who
created us, of our inner souls, of a future
paradise – were attempts by individuals to
envision humanity’s greatness at a time when it
seemed impossible, or at least very difficult, to
make that greatness a reality on Earth. Religious
belief sprung from our alienation from our own
humanity. The New Atheism represents something
far, far worse: alienation from the very idea
that mankind is special or distinct or rapturous or purposeful>

Certainly I have argued for years, sometimes in
this forum, that one element of religion is Ernst
Bloch's and Fredric Jameson's `unexpected
emergence, as it were, beyond "the nightmare of
History" and from out of the most archaic
longings of the human race, of the impossible and
inexpressible Utopian impulse here none the less
briefly glimpsed: "Happiness for everybody!...."'

And maybe it's *not* impossible--but not because
we'll be saved in a Rapture by our invisible jealous god.

Damien Broderick