[ExI] The Extro List- Past/Future

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:20:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> The best of times were these.
>
> All of you have to stop falling into this nostalgia funk.  You're intelligent and creative enough to come up with new ideas and bounce them off each other.  Why not focus on that and transcend this depressive reminiscing?

I have been rereading Accelerando, which thoroughly mines the
Extropian list of the early 90s for ideas.  There actually were not
more than a couple of dozen ideas over a 6 year period of time, so one
every three months would do it.

Lots of new ideas, reformulating sociology in terms of evolutionary
psychology, cortical column simulation as in Conway's Life as a path
to AI, and using gravity gradient "space anchors" as a way to counter
light pressure effects on power satellites.

But these topics don't generate discussion here.

Keith