[ExI] are all cultures equivalent?.

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 17 17:40:38 UTC 2009

"Stathis Papaioannou" <stathisp at gmail.com>

> I suspect you are mainly impressed by Europeans and Americans.

Yes that's true if you include the Japanese, and I suspect you are no
different from me in that regard or you wouldn't be on a list of this sort.

> What about Christian Africa

What about it? I can't think of anything very interesting to come out of
Africa, except of course for the Human Race.

>  or South America

Perhaps you'd like to start a thread about all the marvelous things of
Extropian intellectual interest that originated in South America; I don't
think I'm up to the task.

> or India, or China?

India and China are not Islamic and are  starting to come into their own,
but even so you're right, most of the people I personally admire are still
working in the USA or Europe; the non Islamic parts of Asia are taking off
like a rocket so in a few years that could change.

I wonder why some people feel compelled to defend every culture in the world
from criticism (except their own) even though I feel certain they find many
of them to be dull or abhorrent.  I think you can still be a good person
even after you say "in my personal opinion culture X sucks".

Yea yea I know, the standard response is that if I really got to know them
I'd start to admire them, but I'm the world's greatest expert on me and
I think it more likely that the more I knew about some cultures the more
I'd think they suck.

 John K Clark