[ExI] proposed moratorium on religion topics

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:11:46 UTC 2009

2009/4/17 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

>  Extropians, I propose a temporary moratorium on all things having to do with
> the toughy topic of religion and culture.  Let us take a step back just for
> a week, then when that week is over, may the new discussion may be more
> extropian and enlightening please.

Spike, another suggestion would be to raise the discussion to the EP meta level.

What common features of religious culture contribute to the problems?

To what extent are the underlying problems genetic?  (i.e., Gregory
Clark's work.)

To what extent are the problem a closed positive feedback loop?  (High
population growth, bleak prospects, xenophobic memes, war or related
unrest)

Given ghodlike powerz (or advanced nanotechnology) what could be done
to fix the problems?

Given no major technology jump and no energy supplies beyond fossil
fuel, how long till there is a collapse back to a malthusian world?

Given current trends how long till the situation boils over?

Is there a "time constant" to social movement?  For example the Sri
Lankan civil war may be winding down.  Is this related to a reduced
rate of population growth?

"Origins of the Sri lankan civil war is highlighted by the continuous
political rancor between the majority Sinhalese and the minority
Tamils. According to Jonathan Spencer, a social anthropologist from
the School of Social and Political Studies of the University of
Edinburgh[1], the Sri Lankan Civil War is an outcome of how modern
ethnic identities have been made and re-made since the colonial
period, with the political struggle between minority Sri Lankan Tamils
and the Sinhala-dominant government accompanied by rhetorical wars
over archeological sites and place name etymologies, and the political
use of the national past.[2][3]"

You need to ask, "What induced the majority government to act this
way?"  My guess is population pressure, and that different peoples
don't have a problem living together if the future looks good.

If you Google for "population trends of sri lanka" you get a pointer
to page 271 of a thesis.

Anyone know how to get parts of that thesis?

As an EP based bet, the unrest and war started in a time of falling
income per capita when future economics looked bleak.

Keith