[ExI] TECHNOPHOBIA!

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 16:50:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at comcast.net>
wrote:
> So in other words, for all of us who missed these discussions, I guess we
> are expected to spend hours and hours to go mining in the log files for
June
> and January in an attempt to digest, summarize, and quantify everything
said
> so we can know what everyone believes about this book concisely and
> quantitatively?

Come on, it was just a bland joke, especially owing to the fact that Damien
seems to follow this list quite closely!!

As to its content, I think the author may have a point there, even though
the truth is of course much more nuanced than how he presents it. SF has
been and is inspirational to many transhumanists, yet the explicit
intentions of its authors, especially as far as movies are concerned, are
often exactly at the opposite end of the spectrum regarding one's attitude
towards technology and possible posthuman changes. Who cares about the
authors' intentions, OTOH? :-)

And yet other people have noted important exceptions, both in the Golden Age
SF (say, Anderson, Heinlein, Lafferty, Harness) and in modern days. A case
in point being a recent antology, *Transhuman*.
--
Stefano Vaj